Monday, March 22, 2010

Vegans and Vegetarians BEWARE! Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

If you missed my bacon wrapped salmon recipe, you may not know that I like bacon. Well, I do. I don't eat it as often as my blogged recipes suggest. But when I'm bored with an entrée I try wrapping it in bacon and Tah-daa! it 's a new meal!  I won't take credit for this recipe. Tyler Florence talked about it on the FN around the holidays. So I tried it. Sadly, I couldn't find a recipe on the FN's website to link it so I will describe the basic techniques with photos. Like most of my cuisine, I don't measure or follow a recipe so this is for intermediate and expect cooks that can wing it in the kitchen. Or, find a meatloaf recipe that looks good to prepare that part and then follow this technique for cooking.

SIDE NOTE: What main ingredients do you all use in your meatloaf? I use onion soup mix, spicy brown mustard, ketchup, meatloaf mix (blend of pork, beef, and veal), worcestershire sauce (I had to look up the spelling for that one), and italian bread crumbs. I remember an episode of "Roseanne" where she used corn flakes, but I thought it was Frosted Flakes and that weirded me out so I never tried that, lol.
  1. Ok, mix all your ingredients until well blended. Prep a cookie sheet with a large piece of aluminum foil. It needs to be large enough to fold over the loaf lengthwise and then fold up ends to create a pocket.
  2. Place 5-6 bacon slices side by side on the foil.
  3. Place your loaf on top of the middle of the strips of bacon.
  4. (See pic below) bring ends of bacon to meet on top of meatloaf.
  5. Fold foil over the loaf lengthwise and then fold up ends to create a pocket (See pic below).
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 400º for about 45min. 
  7. Carefully open foil (hot steam will come out) and then broil for a few minutes to brow the bacon.

 Enjoy! Sorry, it smelled so delish, I forgot to take a finished photo before cutting into the meatloaf. I served with collared greens and cornbread muffins.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my your making my hungry. Your meatloaf looks quite delicious. I have to make this weekend :) Thanks for sharing your recipe. I will let you know how it went and leave you a note. I am your new follower from MBC. My blog is http://showmemama.blogspot.com/ come visit when you get a chance. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious!!!
    Following You from MBC,
    Please,could you follow me back ?

    Cheers!

    Half Brazilian-Half Irish
    http://halfbrazilianhalfirish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following your blog from MBC.Come visit me.http://motherhoodthetruth.blogspot.com/
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm now following your blog! I've never had bacon wrapped meat loaf before, looks yummy! I see we are both mom entrepreneurs, it's an adventure!

    ReplyDelete